I want to be still and listen to Your still small voice,
Whether You’re speaking directly to my spirit or speaking to us through Your holy Word.
At times You speak to me through song, through nature,
Through other believers and through the unfolding of major and minor events in our lives.
As You speak to me, I want to be careful and listen to Your voice
So that we do not harden our hearts.
Instead I want You to fulfill in us all Your purposes for our growth and for Your glory.
In the name of Jesus we pray. Amen.
I figured out a while ago that if I said I’d pray for someone, I’d better do it immediately, or I’d forget. I also used to never promise to pray for someone daily because I knew I’d fail. But I’m often getting that prompting to make those commitments now, whether I tell the person or not.
The problem is, while my spirit is willing, my brain is completely fried by long, joyful, chaotic days with small children. I can barely remember to pray for my own family, let alone praying daily for others. While those spontaneous prayers over the course of the day are wonderful, I want more for me and for the people I pray for.
Bible – The Bible talks a lot about praying faithfully. We are all to pray faithfully and according to God’s will.
Praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints. – Ephesians 6:18
Good Examples – I think about my grandma Ruth and the prayer journals we found after she died. Seeing those prayers from long ago and how they were coming to fruit years later was powerful. I have many examples of people who are faithful in prayer and have been getting that nudge from the Spirit to have a regular dedicated prayer time.
- Dedicated, daily prayer time
- Keep track of answers to prayer so that myself and others can be encouraged
- Pray daily about specific prayer requests or urgent situations
- Dig deep in prayer for my husband and kids in all areas of their lives
- Pray for friends and loved ones and the issues they face
- Pray for myself, our parenting, and our marriage
- Pray for the global church as well as the specific needs of the congregation we belong to
- Pray for the needs and salvation of the world